Saturday, November 21, 2020

[REVIEW] The CW's Stargirl (2020-) Is a Must Watch!



This show serves as a reminder that extraordinary things can happen to ordinary people if you choose to embrace the cards you've been dealt with.


Inspired by creator Geoff Johns' late sister, Stargirl first made her debut in 1999 with comic book series "Stars and S.T.R.I.P.E." and while not as many of the casual superhero fans may have heard of this character prior to the show, you'd better believe that Courtney Whitmore and her Cosmic Staff are about to become a new fan favorite! 

I was first introduced to Stargirl growing up when my older brother and I would play against each other in a strategy game called HeroClix where you would collect small figures of your favorite heroes and villains to play as and I remember quite frequently picking Stargirl as my character for two important reasons, I loved her costume, and the gold rod she held in her hands, even though I didn't know what it was called back then. 

So naturally, watching this show for the first time, I was immediately hit by a nice wave of childhood memories as I saw this character being brought to life, and with that, only a few short minutes into the first episode, I was positively hooked and desperate for more!





The Positive


Stargirl follows ordinary high school student Courtney Whitmore (portrayed by actress Brec Bassinger) as she takes on the mantel of Starman after discovering his costume and the Cosmic Staff, a powerful weapon that once belonged to the late superhero. 

Soon she turns to three misfit teenagers in an effort to form the new version of the former superhero group known as the Justice Society of America in order to take down a group of villains who have reemerged in their small town of Blue Valley, Nebraska.  

Originally developed for the streaming service DC Universe, Stargirl is a welcomed addition to The CW for me and appears to be a better fit when you consider the type of content that has been featured on the service such as Titans, Doom Patrol, and the animated series Harley Quinn, all of which contain either more mature themes and/or darker, grittier tones.  

But creator Geoff Johns' lighter, more classic approach to Stargirl is one that I can personally get behind for many different reasons. The show explores tough subjects such as blended families, dealing with loss, growing up without parents, finding your purpose, struggles with morality, self-discovery, acceptance, and more, all while maintaining a sense of hope. 

I've always been a fan of seeing comic-book-inspired shows and movies taking even just a somewhat family-friendly route; I'm no expert on comics, but I can say that superheroes have always played a very important role in my life and that's due to exposure at an early age, and thankfully, season 1 of Stargirl contains little to no suggestive themes and minor language, allowing it to be viewed with whomever you please. Just watch out for the violence, it's pretty hard to have a superhero show without a whole lot of supervillain butt-kicking!

Something else that had me thoroughly impressed with Stargirl was its cast. 
Brec Bassinger brings an imperfect but fiercely ambitious teenaged Courtney Whitmore to life with such enthusiasm, charm, and a burst of energy that has made her an absolute delight to watch on screen. It was also very satisfying for me to watch her once strained relationship with step-father Pat Dugan (Also known as Stripe, played by Luke Wilson) transition to a point where Courtney finally came to value him as not only a father but also as somewhat of a mentor that she and the members of the newly formed version of the JSA can look to for help and guidance as they take on this new responsibility.  





I enjoyed each cast member in their own right but found myself connecting the most with the characters of Rick Tyler (Hourman, played by Cameron Gellman) and Beth Chapel (Doctor Midnite, Anjelika Washington) I felt horrible for the hardships Rick has faced in his life with losing both of his parents and living with his uncle who blames him for everything gone wrong in his life on having to take him in as a child. I have an uncle that blames me for all of his issues too, Rick. I feel you. 

Beth's personality reminded me of a more talkative and outgoing version of myself when I was a teen. We're shown at the beginning of the series that Beth, much like Courtney, Rick, and Yolanda (Yvette Monreal) doesn't have any friends and is shown slightly getting on her parents' nerves by her being so attached to them. Don't worry Beth, I liked hanging out with my parents too. Still do!





The Negative

I can almost always find some sort of imperfection in the shows I've watched from a viewer perspective, however, in a rare case, I don't have a single thing to complain about when it comes to season one of Stargirl. But, there is one very minor thing in this first season that I do hope they plan to tackle in the next. 

While I love both Stargirl and Hourman's costumes, Yolanda's Wildcat and Beth's Doctor Midnite costumes leave less to be desired. Yolanda's suit is fine being that it forms to the body of the person who wears it, but the mask doesn't appear to do the same, causing it to look rather big and a bit too goofy in my opinion.  

Beth is wearing Doctor Midnite's original costume which was made to fit a man and while it was amusing to see her run around in the outfit, I'd love to see her get something that fits her better so that she can soon be taken as seriously as the others. 

That being said I can only assume that these are not their final costumes in the show. They weren't supposed to have been made specifically for them after all so I fully expect them to put their own spin on them just as Courtney did with Starman's attire. 


Conclusion






Watching The CW's Stargirl was nothing short of a sheer delight for me. From its relatable storylines and characters to its incredible action scenes, the show is an absolute must-watch for any DC fan!

This show serves as a reminder that extraordinary things can happen to ordinary people if you choose to embrace the cards you've been dealt with. And, if you're like me, then you'll more than likely adore this show for its lightheartedness, as well as some truly epic action scenes.  

I'm sure that some more experienced critics out there could have found some flaws that I didn't catch but even if it were based on my enjoyment alone, Stargirl's first season receives a five out of five-star rating from me! I was hooked from the start and loved every minute of it.

Be sure to let me know all of your thoughts on the first season of Stargirl and what you would like to see in the next! You can follow me over on Twitter @RR_Everything, that's where I talk about all kinds of shows and movies and also give updates on future reviews. I'm looking forward to hearing from you!


No comments:

Post a Comment